ACCORDING TO THE CALGARY BOARD OF EDUCATION, the following are some of the benefits or learning a second language.
– Expands the intellect
– Teaches responsible citizenship
– Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem and pride in having acquired an additional language
– Strengthens English literacy skills
– Encourages the joy of lifelong learning
– Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism and multiculturalism
– Allows students to compete internationally
– Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career options
– Broadens students’ cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language
ACCORDING TO ALBERTA EDUCATION, the following are some of the benefits or learning a second language.
- Students fluent in two language score higher in both verbal and non-verbal intelligence.
- Students studying a second language are superior in divergent thinking tasks and in memory ability and attention span.
- Second language students have higher test scores in reading, language and mathematics.
- Each additional year of second language training created a greater positive differential compared to students not receiving a second language.
Effect on First Language
- Second language education significantly strengthens first language skills in areas of reading, English vocabulary, grammar and communication skills.
- The earlier the start, the greater the positive effect on the first language.
- Students studying a second language have superior cross-cultural skills and adapt better to varying cultural contexts.
- Students studying a second language display greater cultural sensitivity.
- There is an urgent requirement for qualified speakers of languages other than English in areas of science, technology, medicine and global commerce.
Benefits of Spanish Bilingual Program:
- Dedicated parents result in a high retention rate of students.
- In elementary, a 50/50 split in instructional time between English and Spanish allows students to build fluency in both languages. Children learn to understand and respond appropriately in Spanish in a range of everyday situations.
- Students may take the DELE, which is the Spanish language-credentialing exam.